What is a Miracast device?
Miracast is a standard for wireless connections from devices (such as laptops, tablets, or smartphones) to displays (such as TVs, monitors or projectors), introduced in 2012. It can roughly be described as “HDMI over Wi-Fi”, replacing the cable from the device to the display.
How do you set up miracast?
To make use of Miracast, you’ll need two things: a Miracast-compatible Android device, and a Miracast TV or dongle. The Android part is easy. If your device runs Android 4.2 or later, you most likely have Miracast, also known as the “Wireless display” feature. Now you’ll need to set up your Miracast receiver.
How do I get miracast on my laptop?
Check if your PC supports Miracast
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Devices. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Devices.)
- Tap or click Project. If you see Add a wireless display, your PC supports Miracast.
Is chromecast compatible with Miracast?
Working with Chromecast. Chromecast is a simple dongle that plugs into your TV’s or receiver’s HDMI port, that plugs into a power outlet, and that uses Wi-Fi to access the Internet. Chromecast is a specific device, wheras Miracast is a protocol that many devices may support.
How to set up and use Miracast on Windows 10:
First, check to see if your Windows 10 is ready to go:
- Type connect in the search box from your Start menu.
- Then you’ll see if your Windows 10 support Miracast.
Second, set up the Miracast Windows 10 and your display device:
- Turn on the display device you want to project to, like a TV or a projector. If your display device doesn’t have built-in Miracast support, plug a Miracast adapter such as a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter in your display device.
- On your Windows 10 PC keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I (at the same time) to invoke the Settings window.
- Click Devices.
- It will be shown in the Bluetooth & other devices section by default. Click Add Bluetooth or other device.
- Click Wireless display or dock.
- The Windows 10 should detect your display device which you turned on before. Click your display device to project your Windows 10 to it.
How to fix Miracast not working on Windows 10:
When you check if your Windows 10 is ready to go, you see this error message saying “The device doesn’t support Miracast, so you can’t project it wirelessly.” However, we all know Windows 10 should have Miracast support buily-in. So why does this error occur?
- Is your Windows 10 from a upgrade of Windows 7 or other earlier version? If so, your Windows 10 may not have the built-in Miracast support. In this case, you can make use of a Miracast adapter, like Microsoft wireless display adapter.
- Is your Windows 10 is of a clean-installed version? If so, it should support Miracast then. Then why does this error still happen? Probably your display or Wi-Fi drivers are to blame. You can solve the problem through updating your drivers.
If you need more information about Miracast on windows, please follow this link about Miracast Windows 10